St. John Post Oak
The baptismal records of the congregation go back to 1864, showing the earliest evidence of the congregation's existance. In 1864 the congregation bought a piece of ground from the Schutte farm for $5.00. More settlers came and the church felt strong enough in 1872 to buy the adjoining land for $212.50 which made a total of ten acres. The first building was built in 1873 parallel to the road and positioned in the east-west direction a little west of the present building at a cost of $600.00 and it served as house of worship as well as school house for thirty-one years.
In August 1904 the church building had been damaged by a wind storm. At the quarterly meeting on September 24, 1904 the congregation decided to build our present church which stands a little east and north in the south-north direction of the old building with the entrance facing the road. The cornerstone was laid June 5, 1905 and the dedication took place October 22, 1905.*
*From the 125th anniversary book 1989.